Friday, May 6, 2011

Memories


#126

Today was such a fun day for me.  When I was growing up, I always loved track & field.  It was my favorite sports season for many reason.  One of those reasons was the time in between events spent sitting around on blankets, snacking on high carb food, and hanging out with my friends while all the other poor souls who weren't in track were stuck at school.  So when I heard that my son's school was going to have a track meet, I jumped for joy and immediately got all nostalgic about my days in high school track.  Oh but my son is only in Pre-K.  So then I started to think about my first track meet in 3rd grade where my brother and I both won first place in the High Jump.  He won for the boys and I won for the girls.  It jumped in the family back then.  Now it would probably be pretty hysterical to watch me attempt to heave my body up and over a bar and then land gracefully on a giant mat.  (I know that at this very moment my brother is reading this and saying that I was never graceful.  He can just be quiet now and let me get on with my story.)  Anyway, back to my son's track meet.  I eagerly arrived at the track early this morning with my camera in hand.  To my disappointment, they weren't doing any of the field events, just a handful of races and an obstacle course.  But I still had a great time watching my son attempt to run the 50, 75 & 100 meter races.  He got progressively better and ended up in 3rd place for the 100 meters.  I took pictures of the races.  But the best moment that I captured today was one of him lounging around, in between events, hanging out with his friends.  He's such a lucky boy to have so many of those moments to look forward to in his life.

Technical Notes:  Nikon D700, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD (This is an old lens that I forgot I had.  I bought it way back in the day when I bought my Nikon N80 35mm SLR.  I was so happy to find it hiding in my closet because it works perfectly!), ISO 200, Focal Length 70mm, f/4, 1/500, Auto White Balance, Spot Metering.

1 comment:

  1. It was fun for me also. I was looking at an umbrella that I have had for a long time and still remember when I got it. We had gone to a track meet in Talequah OK. It was a light rain but I didn't have an umbrella so Dad and I went to Dillard's and bought one. Wal-marts were not as common as they are now.

    ReplyDelete