Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giddy with Excitement!


#68

Warning for my mom:  You will be bored to tears with this post and I already know you don't like the look on his face.  Stop reading and try again tomorrow.

Today, I am exactly as the title of this post suggests.  I'm absolutely giddy with excitement!  What could cause a grown woman to laugh, jump up and down and maybe even shed a tear of happiness?  A Nikon D700, that's what!  Yes, my hubby finally gave me the go ahead to order my much desired camera of my dreams.  He told me yesterday at 11 a.m. to go ahead and order it.  And by 11:01 I had it ordered with overnight shipping so that it arrived today.  Of course I met the UPS man at his truck this afternoon and asked him where he'd been all day!

For those of you who know me, you know that I don't believe in buying new camera equipment just for the sake of having the newest thing out there.  I believe in only buying what you need.  After all, it's not about the camera, it's about the person behind it.  Great pictures depend on the skill and talent of the photographer much more than they depend on what kind of equipment you have.  So what in the world possessed me to decide I wanted to spend that kind of money on a camera?

First of all, the sensor.  The sensor in the Nikon D700 is what's commonly referred to as full frame.  It's larger than the sensor on most DSLRs and it's almost the same size as a 35mm SLR.  That's what piqued my interest and prompted me to even start looking at getting a new camera.

The second thing that I discovered is what really convinced me to buy this camera.  It's awesome in low light.  You can really bump up the ISO without getting a lot of added noise.  On my D70 that I've had for years, I  couldn't use an ISO above 400 without getting a considerable amount of noise in my pictures.  And since I'm a natural light photographer, being able to take photographs with only the available light, even when it's not plentiful, is really important to me.

I'm beyond excited about getting out and seeing what this baby can do.  For today, I took some pictures in my living room which I usually detest doing.  I've never been able to take a picture in there without a flash....until today.  The above picture was taken in my living room, with the ISO all the way at 3200!  Wow, my D70 didn't even go that high!  I'm very pleased with the results.

Technical Notes:  Nikon D700 (I love that extra zero!), Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, ISO 3200, f/1.8, 1/100, Auto White Balance.

1 comment:

  1. Woot woot!!! Must feel really good to hold and shoot the D700.
    Is it pretty heavy?
    I <3 natural light too.

    ReplyDelete