Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Compromise


#107

For the last 2 years I've had a ridiculous 2,000 square foot garden.  I say ridiculous but the truth is, I've really loved it.  I love preparing the ground, planting the seeds, watering in the early morning when it's sunny out but not too hot yet, I even love weeding.  I know, I'm officially crazy.  And of course the best part of gardening is the harvest.  Last year we had 48 tomato plants and we got to harvest the tomatoes by the buckets full which was a blast for me and my kids.  

But this year I won't be able to put all the time and love into a garden that it would require.  To my surprise, my kids have been really disappointed that we're not out there planting anything.  I keep telling them we can't have one this year and I give them the reasons why but they don't understand.  So today we compromised.  I promised them a small container garden and I let them each pick out 2 plants.  My oldest son picked 2 different kinds of tomato plants because he loves tomatoes.  My youngest son picked 2 strawberry plants.  And I couldn't resist the urge to buy a cilantro plant.  I think this tiny garden will be perfect for us this year.  Now I just have to resist the urge to buy hundreds of pots & plants!  Giving up gardening this year is really difficult for me but like all things in life, you have to pick and chose what you have time for and I know my other endeavors will keep me very busy and satisfied.

Technical Notes:  Nikon D700, Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G, ISO 800 (it was really windy out and I needed a fast shutter speed), Focal Length 56mm, f/4.8, 1/400, Auto White Balance, Spot Metering.

No comments:

Post a Comment